1 day course
This course is currently available at our Rotherham training centre.
CompEx is the national training and assessment scheme for electro technical crafts personnel who work in potentially explosive atmospheres, such as on and off-shore Oil and Gas Pharmaceuticals, Energy and Chemical industries.
It is a national joint training initiative developed and implemented by the Engineering Equipment and Material Users Association (EEMUA) and JTL and is supported by the Health and Safety Executive.
CompEx Foundation (ExF) is a 1-day course that provides candidates with an understanding of the regulations, directives and standards associated with locations containing hazardous atmospheres.
Candidates will receive an overview of hazardous area classification, safe working practices and basic protection concepts used for certifying Ex equipment.
Who should take this course?
This qualification is suitable for non-technical personnel who require an understanding of basic Ex principles, and recently qualified technicians who wish to develop their knowledge before undertaking more technical CompEx qualifications.
On completion of this course, candidates will have:
- A greater understanding of the current directives and regulations relating to hazardous areas.
- Awareness of typical flammable atmosphere situations and types of release.
- Understanding of the characteristics of gases, vapours and dusts
- Understanding of the basic principles of area classification including zones, apparatus groups and temperature classification
- Understanding of identification for hazardous area equipment
- Awareness of the types of protection for equipment for use in hazardous areas.
- Understanding of the IP code for ingress protection
- Awareness of various ignition sources and potential associated hazards.
At the end of the course, candidates must complete an online multiple-choice examination consisting of 30 questions (45 minutes). Successful candidates will receive an internationally recognised CompEx Certificate for Foundation in Hazardous Awareness.
Not sure whether to start with the CompEx ExF Foundation course or take the full 5-day CompEx Ex01 - Ex04 course instead? Determine which course would be best for you with the new CompEx awareness tool - 'IntroEx'. This free short assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete and provides an overview of the basic principles of potentially explosive atmospheres and safety. If you are already due to attend training, it can also be used as pre-learning material.
Access IntroEx here.
The following courses are also available and may complement and build upon the knowledge gained
on the CompEx Foundation (ExF) course.